Here’s something to consider.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, Generation X outspends all other generations when it comes to housing, clothing, eating out and entertainment. You read it right! Gen X, making up more than 30% of the American population, has vast purchasing power.
On of our favourite blogs Bigcommerce has written a decent article on how ecommerce retailers can make the Gen X convert even better and explain the reasoning really well. We suggest you dive in if you haven’t already.
Who is Gen X?
Generation X is one of the smallest generations in the U,S. but they make up a large portion of the purchasing power. They are born sometime between the years of 1965–1980, and are effectively a technological conduit between Baby Boomers and Millennials.
- They are financially stable.
- Generation X currently makes up 31% of the total U.S. income.
- They love social media — 95% of them use Facebook.
- 35% of Xers in the U.S. have college degrees, compared to only 19% of Millennials. This means that they tend to hold more powerful positions in organisations.
- They spend more time per week on all devices than Millennials do: 21 hours on smartphones, 9 hours on PCs, and 4 hours on tablets.
It turns out generation X really loves video marketing!
Especially on Facebook. Videos are also more likely to be shared over social media than links and articles. A well-made product video can add a more human element and help you connect in an authentic way. You can use video across multiple channels, including social media, your website and email. Gen Xers watch upwards of 32 hours of TV a week, and 45.8 million of them consume digital videos.
That said, this is why we made a UXD out of it and plan to do even more. Gen X loves to eat with their eyes and quite frankly who doesn’t. Are you using video marketing to power to ecom business?
Conclusion: Generation X has a lot of spending power and shouldn’t be an afterthought when you’re building an effective marketing strategy 🙂 Bon Appétit.
Brought to you by: